Whitestone is an upper middle class neighborhood in the northernmost part of Queens. In the 17th century, Dutch settlers discovered that the area was built on white limestone, which is how the area got its name. Whitestone is home to the Whitestone Bridge built in 1939. At the time of construction it was the fourth longest bridge in the world.
Pictured is St. Nicholas Orthodox Church located on Clintonville Street. The Russian church was designed by Sergey Padukow & built in 1968. Due to its futuristic design, it is known as the “spaceship church.”
The World Journal, the largest Chinese-language newspaper in the U.S. is headquartered in Whitestone.