Ridgewood is a mixed working class neighborhood on the border of Brooklyn. Ridgewood was originally settled by the dutch as a part of Bushwick, Brookyn in the early 1700’s. It wasn’t until the 1800’s when the second wave of english settlers came into the area, that is was renamed Ridgewood because of the land’s green and hilly terrain. Ridgewood was developed block by block at the beginning of the 20th century. Most of the buildings were developed by Louis Berger & Co. The company developed 5,000 buildings in the area. Today most of these buildings are a part of Ridgewood’s 10 landmark districts.
Pictured is the Ridgewood movie theater located on Myrtle Avenue. The theatre opened in 1916 and used to feature vaudeville acts. The theatre closed in 2008, but the theaters facade earned landmark status, preventing it from ever being altered from its current state.
The Onderdonk House, erected in 1709 remains New York City’s oldest dutch colonial stone house.