Pomonok Houses is a New York City Housing Association Development in South Flushing. The low income housing development was built in 1951 on the former site of the Pomonok Country Club. Pomonok sits on 52 acres, consists of 35 buildings, over 2,070 apartments, housing approximately 4,200 people. It borders 65th Ave & Parsons Blvd & 71st Ave & Kissena Blvd. The name Pomonok comes from a Native American word for eastern Long Island, & means land of tribute.
Pictured is a playground cage located in the center of the Pomonok Houses. The cage is the solitary structure in this designated rubberized play area and has stayed mostly in its original state since 1951.
On September 17, 1951, 22 World War II veterans and their families were the 1st to occupy the complex.