Kew Gardens Hills is a middle class neighborhood with a large Orthodox Jewish presence. In the early 19th Century this area was known as “Head of the Fly” for its location at the headwaters of the Flushing Creek. On January 1st, 1898 Kew Gardens Hills was incorporated into the borough of Queens.
Pictured is Main Street Cinema. Originally opened in the late 1940’s the theater was known as the Interboro House, and was one of the biggest theaters in Queens.
Kew Gardens Hills is home to the largest concentration of Afghanis in the New York metropolitan area.