Fort Totten is a former United States Army base located in Northern Queens. It is now property owned by the New York City Parks Department, which is still used by the US Army Reserves. Named after Joseph Gilbert Totten former Chief Engineer of the U.S. Army. The United States government bought this property from the Willets family in 1857. The purpose of this was to protect the East River approach to the New York Harbor.
Pictured is the Fort Totten switch station. The switch station is part of an electrical, generation, transmission and distribution system that runs Fort Totten.
Parts of Fort Totten are also used by the New York City Police Department and the Fire Department of New York as a training center.
The History section is in collaboration with Steve Vazquez of Queenscapes.